[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In Postgres 7.3.5 -
When we try to insert a new record into our parties.party table which
is then meant to fire off a trigger to update a column in the table
with some de-normalised information, we get the following error:
ERROR:  FLOATING POINT EXCEPTION!  The last floating point operation
either exceeded the legal ranges or was a divide by zero.

Can someone help spot our syntax erorr, please?

This looks to me like a candidate:
Without escaping it looks like v_ref := ''/'';
dividing 2 empty strings, and indeed gives
division by zero in psql. What dividing 2 strings is actually
supposed to mean is not evident form the docs in the first glance.

v_ref := \'\'/\'\' || v_parent_party_id || v_ref;

This one too.

Andre

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster