Janning Vygen wrote:
Hi Richard,

i feared all db gurus are asleep at the moment.

They are, that's why you've got me :-)

Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2004 10:56 schrieb Richard Huxton:

PS - your next mail mentions sig11 which usually implies hardware
problems, so don't forget to test the machine thoroughly once this is over.

You saved my life!! Nothing less!

This was a great help cause i never thought that it could be a hardware problem. I took a dump from last night and tried to recover on the original machine. it didnt work as i wrote. but when i tried to install it on another machine it just worked fine.

So everything is up and running.

I still have all the corrupt files in place and now i try to determine what went wrong.

As it is obviously a hardware problem, my question is now: how can i check my hardware (disk)?

How can i get informed next time when things are going wrong?

Well, it might be memory too. You probably want to run memtest86 for a day or two. Bonnie++ is disk performance rather than testing, but will stress the system.
http://www.linuxtested.com/linux_tools.html

Many modern drives offer SMART disk monitoring - google for tools to display the relevant statistics.

Ok i will come up with a lot of questions as soon as i had another coffee because i never want to feel so helpless again.

There really should be a section in the manual like "desaster recovery" which shows some tricks and methods.

It doesn't happen often enough to warrant a chapter, but someone should write something step-by-step.

pg version is 7.4.2

Download 7.4.5 - that's got the latest bugfixes in it.

i will as soon as my nerves are cooling down again :-)

Nice to be able to stop screaming, isn't it ;-)

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd