Tom Lane wrote:
"Arnau Rebassa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm using a debian linux as OS with a 2.4 kernel running on it.

Incidentally, are you reconnecting every time or is it that multiple calls in a single session are returning the same record?

I'm reconnecting each time I want to retrieve a message.

Hmm.  postmaster.c does this during startup of each backend process:

        gettimeofday(&now, &tz);
        srandom((unsigned int) now.tv_usec);

If it uses the same seed from the connection, then all randoms within a connect that has not reconnected will use the same seed. Which means the same sequence will be generated each time, which is why it is pseudo-random and not random. For it to be random not just the first call of a new connection, but among all calls of new connection, it would have to seed it based on time at the moment of query and not at the moment of connect. A pseudo-random generator using the same seed will generate the same sequence.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend