David Garamond wrote:
Thomas Madsen wrote:

A quite impressive list of changes in version 8.0.0. ...

But the question from me is: When is it done?

Two words: Nobody knows. Beta cycle is usually at least 2-3 months. First beta is in Aug. So a release is probably Nov at the earliest.

We have a lot of 7.2.5 versions running which badly needs an update, but
if version 8.0.0 comes in the near future, we could surely hold out a
while longer and go for the top of the line.

Unless you need a specific feature of 8.0 (savepoint, PITR, migration to Windows :)), it's generally recommended to use 7.4.5. 8.0's previous name was 7.5 and it was renamed to X.0 to reflect the fact that it is not believed to be more robust than 7.4.

Wait wait. All X.0 version are not believed more robust then Y.Z with Y < X and Z >> 0

Anyway is a general consensus that the win32 8.0 version is not more robust
than his counterpart *nix 8.0  this because lot of code already mature in *nix
environment is new in the win32 one.

Regards Gaetano Mendola