Hello,
Thanks very much for the replies. Please find follow-ups inline.

On 10/8/2004 11:05 AM, Michael Fuhr wrote:

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 08:17:07AM -0700, Steven Klassen wrote:

* Samik Raychaudhuri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-10-07 21:12:31 -0500]:

$dbh=DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname='samik';host='abc.org';port=5432","samik","xxxx");

It seems that machine can't resolve abc.org (although I can). The
format of your connect string is a little unorthodox, but it seems to
work in general.

What does 'dig abc.org' return on this machine?

I wonder if "abc.org" was just an example and not the real domain
name. Samik, what's the real name? Should it be resolvable from
the public Internet?

abc.org is just an example. The real name is freesql.org, it is resolvable from the public internet. I can also run the same program from command prompt in Cygwin shell, and it runs fine.

The original message reported the following error when connecting
by IP address:

failed: could not create socket: Operation not permitted

I wonder of packet filters are preventing the PostgreSQL connection
from working, and possibly causing DNS problems as well.

What exactly you mean by packet filters? How do I check what packet filters are active?
Thanks for your time.
Regards,
-Samik

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend