On 10/30/2004 3:39 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Replication is one subsystem not included in source tree. But PostgreSQL
has other subsystems that are included such as plugins for procedural
languages. So isn't the same risks involved with them?

No, not really. Because items such as plPerl don't require changes to the backend. Replication requires changes to the backend.

Replication doesn't require changes to the backend ... neither eRServer or Slony-I do, at least ...

Slony-II will probably need some additional features. But I consider it a sign for an immature design not to be able to define those features in form of an API and instead starting to hack together a prototype inside of the backend that later down the road will get promoted to a solution because there never will be any time to turn the findings of that explore-phase into a design and develop according to that.

Jan