My guess is that you will get better performance from a similarly priced Dual Opteron for the following reasons:

1) OS-X is not 64-bit yet, 64-bit Linux/BSD OS's are available
2) GCC is far better tuned for x86 than PowerPC/Itanium/etc
3) Postgres *seems* to prefer Opteron's ondie memory controller architecture over shared bus -- especially in SMP configs

Is it enough of a difference? If you needed to eek out every possible % performance because you have a critical production need, then the answer is yes. Otherwise, it's easier to stick with the OS you know.

Jim Strickland wrote:
Well, the whole reason I have asked this question is because my developer swears by OS X and PostgreSQL. However, I wanted opinions from other people who have possibly used a similar setup so I can make an informed decision. I will certainly keep your advice in mind. I guess the only reason I was asking about the version of OS X and the G5 processor, is because that is all my developer uses and he seems to think they make a great combination, but that seems to be at odds with your experience.

Perhaps some others will weigh in with their experiences and I will be able to make a sound decision. Fortunately there is no great rush to decide. Thanks for your help.