On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

I've posted details to the FreeBSD -stable and -current mailing list, but the simple summary is that 'ifconfig <dev> -alias' with no ip specific'd literally erases all IPs on that device, leaving the server running 'un-networked' ... :(

Good lord.

Ya well, its not something I'm particularly proud about ...

Stupid question for someone running Linux ... is this standard behaviour
that I've been lucky never to hit before, or is this something that
Linux deals with slightly more intelligently?

I used to have a script on my remote server that I was running in BG before to touch the network, that script was bringing up the network if was down for more then 2 minutes. My server is now hosted in my house and I do not need it anymore, I changed it with the no-ip script :-)

Until now, I didn't think I'd need such a think :( In almost 12 years of networking, that is one thing that I've never done, unconfigured the main IP ;(

Then again, I think I've been lucky so far in that I've never done an 'rm -rf /' either :)

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664