Eric D Nielsen wrote:

I recently tried to upgrade from the 7.2.1 PostGreSQL package on Debian Stable
to the 7.4.6 PostGreSQL package on Debian Testing.  The automatic update
failed, message included below.  The documentation for manual upgrades
references a script which does not appear to exist (postgresql-dump) in the
postgres/dumpall/7.2/ directoty.

Can anyone advise me of how to proceed? I would prefer to stick with the
Debian
packages, but if I must can deal with compiling from source for intermediate
versions, etc.

Well you can't just "upgrade" 7.2.1 to 7.4.6. You have to dump and restore.
My suggestion would be to dump your 7.2.1 database and if you can use the 7.4.6 pg_dump (from source). Then remove 7.2.1 and try and reinstall 7.4.6.
Once 7.4.6 is installed then restore your dump and you should be good to go.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Thank you.

Eric Nielsen

----- Begin script output
The postmaster did not start after postgresql was installed:

Stopping PostgreSQL database server: postmasterpg_ctl: could not find
/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid
Is postmaster running?

+1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334