Adam Ernst wrote:
How can I get the table schema for a database or the field schema for a table? I'm connected remotely via a socket, so I can't just dump it an inspect the result.

Even if I could just verify the existence of a table/field, that would work.

If you start psql with the -E flag then \d etc will show the queries they send.

You might also want to consider looking at the information_schema schema which provides a standardised view of database structure.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd