On 11/30/2004 5:55 PM, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Marc G. Fournier From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Harris) writes:

"Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

"If there was an official newsgroup for postgresql, would you switch
to using Usenet from using the mailing lists?"

As a side note, for those that do vote 'yes', please note that there
is an official pgsql.* hierarchy gated from the mailing lists, that
is available at news.postgresql.org, if you do wish to use a news
reader vs a mail reader ...

FWIW, I voted yes, but my vote depended upon it being a
comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, done according to USENET
guidelines.  I sense that would be a lot more important for PostgreSQL
in the long term and a lot more sustainable in general than a pgsql.*
hierarchy.  It's been my experience that processes done outside the
norm tend to have extra problems along the way that cost more than the
immediate gratification is worth, even if it does seem more painful at
the time.

Just as an FYI ... the latest RFD is for *one*
comp.databases.postgresql group to be created, that is not-gated ...
this means that those using it would not have the benefit(s) that
those using the pgsql.* hierarchy do, namely access to the wealth of
knowledge/experience of those on the mailing lists ...

Which is all the contributing developers, all the key people in the project. So that newsgroup whould be for whom?

I had posed the 'who would use USENET' question on -hackers previous to the poll, and the general opinion was "not in this life time" by ppl like PeterE, TomL, JoshuaD, etc ... the thread can be seen:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg01110.php

Trying to sway the vote?

Perhaps.

The long term solution for this incompatibility seems clear to me. Set it up as a moderated newsgroups under pgsql.* and have the moderator bot respond with a fixed "if you want your message to be read by all PostgreSQL community members, you must post to the underlying mailing list ..." with a reference how to do the nomail subscribe etc. and the gateway setting Follow-Up-To: and so on so that news-lurkers usually mail it to the list server anyway. Everything else will lead to constant work on Marc's side, delayed or double posts, all the crap people have been complaining about.

Jan

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster