Malcolm Warren wrote:
I have been using a serial column in my most important postgres table for a couple of years.

But today it has suddenly started assigning zero instead of the next number, which clearly is causing chaos.
I have restarted Postgres, but it has not solved the problem. I cannot re-assign the serial number because it is tied to other tables.
Anybody had this problem??

I have reached number 14954 which we can't exactly call a high number.

The column description is as follows:

Name   srl
type   bigint
modifiers    default nextval(booking_srl_seq::text)

What happens if you go SELECT nextval('booking_srl_seq') - do you get the expected number?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd