Hello.

Seeking further clarity regarding GET DIAGNOSTICS behavior in 7.4.

As described previously GET DIAGNOSTICS in the following example does not work
in 7.4.5:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."rowcount_test" () RETURNS bigint AS'
DECLARE
      base_hits bigint;
BEGIN

base_hits := 0;
CREATE TEMP TABLE ltbl_temp AS SELECT 1 AS data;
GET DIAGNOSTICS base_hits = ROW_COUNT;

    RETURN base_hits;
END;
'LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE

Base_hits returns 0 and not 1 while 7.3 returns 1.  Without base_hits := 0,
null would be returned.

Output:

7.3.3
queriesdbtest=# select * from public.rowcount_test();
rowcount_test ---------------
1
(1 row)

7.4.5
queriesdbtest=# select * from public.rowcount_test();
rowcount_test ---------------
0
(1 row)

What is the preferred/recommended way for obtaining rows worked with via the
last SQL statement?  Can this be a bug in 7.4.5 as the documentation indicates
that this should work as described?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Maksim Likharev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

consider following code:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION rowcount_test() RETURNS bigint AS '
DECLARE
        base_hits bigint;
BEGIN
    CREATE TEMP TABLE ltbl_temp AS SELECT 1 AS data;
    GET DIAGNOSTICS base_hits = ROW_COUNT;

    RETURN base_hits;
END;
' LANGUAGE PLPGSQL VOLATILE;

in 7.3.3 GET DIAGNOSTICS was returning number of selected rows into a temp
table
in 7.4.5 GET DIAGNOSTICS returns 0

Hmm. I'm not sure if that's a bug or an improvement. The command did not return any rows to plpgsql, so in that sense row_count = 0 is correct, but I can see why you feel you've lost some capability.

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

                        regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] Get diagnistic (row_count) 7.3 vs. 7.4 changes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tom Lane wrote:

Maksim Likharev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

in 7.3.3 GET DIAGNOSTICS was returning number of selected rows into
a temp table in 7.4.5 GET DIAGNOSTICS returns 0

Hmm.  I'm not sure if that's a bug or an improvement.  The command
did not return any rows to plpgsql, so in that sense row_count = 0 is
 correct, but I can see why you feel you've lost some capability.

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

Well, from the manuals: "The currently available status items are ROW_COUNT, the number of rows processed by the last SQL command sent down to the SQL engine"

Nothing there about rows being returned.

And by analogy:
"A PERFORM statement sets FOUND true if it produces (and discards) a
row, false if no row is produced."

If you've FOUND rows then presumably ROW_COUNT should be non-zero. So set it if rows aren't returned I'd opine.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend