Hi!

RAID5 is not an optimum choice for a database; switch to RAID0+1 if you can
afford the disk space lost - this yields much better insert performance than
RAID5, as there's no parity calculation involved. There's another performance
gain to be achieved by moving the WAL-files to another RAID-set than the
database files; splitting tablespaces across RAID-sets usually won't do much
for you in terms of performance, but might be convenient when you think about
scaling in size.

Kind regards

   Markus

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster