hi bruno,

turns out that l.last_comment_uid and l.last_comment_name are integer and char var respectively. since i'm using 7.4.1 with strict boolean casting, is there a better alternative to instantiating a different version of pgsql on my server?

In the php code you showed the following fragment:
IF(l.last_comment_uid,      cu.name,      l.last_comment_name)

I doubt that l.last_comment_uid is a boolean based on its name.
If it isn't this is probably the source of your problem.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend