Andre Schnoor wrote:
Hi,

I am moving from Sybase to pgsql but have problems with stored procedures.
The typical procedure uses

a) named parameters,
b) local variable declarations and assignments
c) transactions
d) cursors, views, etc.

I can't seem to find these things in the Postgres function syntax.

Uhmmm in Postgres function/procedures are the same thing. I am unsure about named parameters but b,c,d are all available in PostgreSQL.

Functions in pgsql are very limited compared to Sybase procedures,

I seriously doubt this is the case since you have the ability to use any
number of languages for your procedures including plPgsql, plPython, plPerl, plPHP etc...

so I'll
have to find a workaround somehow. Perhaps somebody can point me to examples
or hints regarding this issue.

Perhaps if you provided the actual problem? Is there a specific procedure that you are trying to port that you do not understand in the PgSQL sense?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Thanks in advance!

Andre

Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared
and dedicated hosting. Home of the Open Source Projects plPHP,
plPerlNG, pgManage,  and pgPHPtoolkit.
Contact us now at: +1-503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua D. Drake
n:Drake;Joshua D.
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215;Cascade Locks;Oregon;97014;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334
note:Command Prompt, Inc. is the largest and oldest US based commercial PostgreSQL support provider. We  provide the only commercially viable integrated PostgreSQL replication solution, but also custom programming, and support. We authored  the book Practical PostgreSQL, the procedural language plPHP, and adding trigger capability to plPerl.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.commandprompt.com/
version:2.1
end:vcard