pgadmin3 does not seem to want to connect to the server using UNIX sockets, it only does it through TCP.

Set up the Postgres server to use TCP (as well as UNIX sockets) - i.e. - starting postmaster with the -i option, sorting it pg_hba.conf etc.

Eddy

Jonathan Schreiter wrote:
hi all,
running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
could remember.

i can't seem to connect to the new database using
pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
postgres as the username, and my new password as the
password. i keep getting the error

Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
that i've added the following to
/etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:
login = "postgres"
password = "mynewpassword"

and right underneath it:
tcpip = true

i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.

so...anyone know what else i can look at?

many thanks!
jonathan