go wrote:

Hi !

Im running PG 7.23 now with text fields in CP866.

I tried to restore dump from 7.23 into PG 8.01 with
following settings :
-   initdb --locale ru_RU
-   createdb -E ALT.

all works great , but sort order in text fields is wrong

Both on Linux and Windows you should use for your databases the same encoding as your system supports. On Linux you can see your locales using 'locale -a'. On my Linux I have these ru_RU.*:

ru_RU
ru_RU.iso88595
ru_RU.koi8r
ru_RU.utf8

I would try 'initdb --locale ru_RU.utf8' (or any other with specified encoding) and set the same encoding for the database (= in this example 'UNICODE'). Then the sorting should be correct.

I'm just a newbie for PostgreSQL so somebody might explain it more precisely.

People, help pls to megrate to PG 8.01  properly

Thanks, and have a nice day!!

Igor

Miroslav Šulc

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Miroslav =C5=A0ulc
n;quoted-printable:=C5=A0ulc;Miroslav
org:StartNet s.r.o.
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Vrchlick=C3=A9ho 161/5;Praha 5;;150 00;=C4=8Cesk=C3=A1 republika
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:CEO
tel;work:+420 257 225 602
tel;cell:+420 603 711 413