On Mar 23, 2005, at 7:56 AM, Shaun Clements wrote:

Is there no way in pgplsql
to call on a dynamic column.
I need to be able to dynamically determine the latest month column within a dataset, and to get that columns data.
I am unfamiliar with other languages within Postgres

 Kind Regards,
Shaun Clements

You can get all the column names for a table called 'testtable' using:

select a.attname
        from
                pg_attribute a,
                pg_class c
        where
                a.attrelid=c.oid and
                a.attnum>0 and
                c.relname='testtable';

You can then decide what column to use based on whatever logic you like. You will then need to construct the SQL statement using || (concatenate) and execute it using EXECUTE.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql- statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

Does this help? Another simpler way to do this would be a different table structure where you put the month in a column by itself rather than a different column for each month.

Sean

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend