Scott Marlowe wrote on 19.04.2005 00:26:

One example would be when I drop a table (and it doesn't exist) I still want to run the following CREATE TABLE. But due to the error even the following valid command will fail.
This problem is not limited to DDL. When I try to write the result sets for several queries to disk it's the same problem, if e.g. the first select reports an error (e.g. due to a typo in the column list) all subsequent ones will no run as well.

You could try using rollback and save points.  set  savepoint before you
drop the table, and if the drop fails, issue a rollback.

As I said, I'm aware of that, but I have to support different DBMS and this behaviour is pretty different to the other ones. The DDL stuff isn't that big of a problem, but the example with multiple selects is a bit more tricky to solve as I don't have control over the transaction handling.

Thanks for your answer, I guess I'll simply have to live with that.

Cheers
Thoams

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq