By the way, I presume foreign key indices are used to check for
referential integrity on insert.  Can the query planner also use then
somehow?

It can use them the same way it can use any other index.

Hmm, I guess I thought that "foreign key indices" were some special kind of index. For instance, I thought that Postgresql might effectively pre-compute part of the information it needed to do a join on the two relevant columns.

I'm guessing now that we're just talking about a regular index on a column that happens to have a foreign key reference to another column. Is that the case?

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
  MITRE

http://archives.postgresql.org