Simon Riggs wrote:

Berend Tober <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Now what, oh most wise one?

OK, now I finally get the point: you are creating child tables in
different schemas than their parents live in.

Comments anyone?

Best thing to do is to prevent people from creating child tables in different schemas. Or at least advise against it.

Doing anything to restrict dropping of inherited constraints seems like
wasted effort and potentially annoying anyhow.

My partitioning efforts will eventually distinguish between inherited
and non-inherited constraints, since the former are fairly useless for
partition elimination. So I can't see a reason to care whether they are
there or not, if the user knows better.

The case in question was not one of the child table being in a different partition (do you mean schema?), although that arrangement was considered and rejected for other reasons during data base design. In this implementation, a function called for a table constraint was in a different schema. The function so called was defined in the public scheme because it is a generic function that can be used by different applications, and some tables are relevant only to specific applications and so have there own, application-specific schema -- but they still can make use of shared definitions, i.e., this particular function, which are defined in the public schema.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match