On May 20, 2005, at 3:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Matthew Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Just wondering if the Postgres hackers have done any performance
measurements on Postgres compiled with GCC 3.x against Postgres
compiled with GCC 4.0.  I'm wondering whether or not the auto-
vectorization stuff in 4.0 provides any performance improvements to
Postgres 8.0.x.

Offhand I'd not expect auto-vectorization to be much help for Postgres,
but you never know till you try ...

While cruising the vast and global interweb I found myself here

http://gnu.ghks.de/software/gcc/projects/tree-ssa/vectorization.html

and while that's a bit over my head I gathered that GCC 4.0 would provide "more better" performance.
-M@

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend