Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:

I have a web application backed by a PostgreSQL 7.4.6 database. It's an application with a fairly standard login process verified against the database.

I'd like to use pg_dump to grab a live backup and, based on the documentation, this would seem to be a realistic possibility. When I try, though, during business hours, when people are frequently logging in and otherwise using the application, the application becomes almost unusable (to the point where logins take on the order of minutes).

Could this be an I/O saturation issue like the one the vacuum delay settings are supposed to help with? Perhaps we could either extend the vacuum delay settings to effect pg_dump, or make new option to pg_dump that would have it slow down the dump.

BTW, have you tried running pg_dump from a separate machine? Or even just making sure that the dump file is being written to a different disk drive than PostgreSQL is running on. All that disk write activity is bound to slow the system down.

Matthew