Douglas McNaught wrote:

"Brandon Metcalf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've been looking at the auto vacuum daemon pgavd and it looks like
there hasn't been any development activity in a while.  Does anyone
know that status of pgavd?

Also, I'd be interested in hearing how well it works and if there are
any plans to include this daemon in the pgsql distribution.

You obviously just joined this list, as there's been extensive
discussion of that very issue over the last few days.  :)

Take a look at the recent archives (and those for -hackers as well)
but the upshot is that there is definitely a push to get AV integrated
into the backend for 8.1.

There has been extensive conversation in the last few days, however I think Brandon is referencing pgavd which is a project on gborg, which was an autovacuum implementation started by someone else that never took off. This is totally separate from pg_autovacuum that is in contrib.

In my opinion that project is dead and could be removed.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq