thank you all for your help.

this solved it:
SELECT count(*) FROM table where date_part('hour', time_stamp) in (10, 11);

Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 13:20, Jeffrey Melloy wrote:
D A GERM wrote:

I have been trying to write an sql statement that returns the same hours in a time stamp no matter what the date. I can to pull same hours on the the same days but have not been able to figure out how to pull all the same hours no matter what the date.

Here is the one sql statement I have been using:
SELECT COUNT(time_stamp) FROM table WHERE time_stamp BETWEEN 20050629100000 and 20050631100000;

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced for any help

You can do something like
SELECT count(*)
FROM table
where date_part('hour', timestamp) in (10, 11)

This query is going to require a seq scan, so if you're running it frequently you can make an index on date_part('hour', timestamp)

Note that an index created on date_part('hour',timestamp) should be
usable here as long as it's selectable enough.

--
D. Aaron Germ
Scarborough Library, Shepherd University

"Well then what am I supposed to do with all my creative ideas- take a bath and wash
myself with them? 'Cause that is what soap is for" (Peter, Family Guy)

      match