I'm sure I've done this before, but for some reason, my main noodle is drawing
a blank. Assume we have three tables defined thusly:

create table classrooms (
id serial unique not null,
name varchar
);

create table seats (
classrooms_id integer not null references classrooms(id),
position varchar
);

create table students(
classrooms_id integer not null references classrooms(id),
name varchar
);

Now, I want to get a result like:

classroom | students | seats
101A    0       25
101B    22      30
102A    11      0
... etc.

Something somewhat akin to

select classroom.title,
        count(students.id) AS students,
        count(seats.id) AS seats
from classrooms, students, seats
where classrooms.id=students.classrooms_id
and classrooms.id=seats.id

Except that it counts 0s for seats/students.

Why can't I recall/find how to do this particular join?

-Ben
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978