At 05:59 PM 8/9/2005 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

SQL_ASCII means that the database does no locale specific or language
specific encoding ever. It won't check what you send it either. If
you're content to let clients deal with any encoding issues, this may
be what you want.

But anything to do with lower(), upper(), case-insenstive in the
database itself will be totally stupid since it's assuming ASCII.

Is it possible or even good to have the ability to allow you to pick a particular locale for a query/function?

e.g. select * from messages where locale_code=$locale_code order by locale_code, multilocale_lower(message,locale);

Or even:

create index lower_keyword_idx on keywords (multilocale_lower(keyword,locale))
(there's a column called locale in both tables)

Does that actually make sense? ;)

I suppose we can do that in the client. But it'll be nicer if we can use "order by", "group by", and do it for more than one locale at a time.

Can Postgresql currently handle more than one locale within the same database AND have some useful locale sensitive DB functions?

Regards,
Link.