"Peter Alberer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The system is a p5-510 running redhat advanced server 4.0 update 1. the
> kernel version is 2.6.9-11.EL. what other details about the machine could be
> helpful?

Well, it works perfectly fine for me on a ppc64 RHEL machine at Red Hat...

I'm a bit suspicious of your method of getting a 64-bit build by
manually altering the compile/link flags.  I believe the recommended
way of switching 32/64 environment is via setarch.  I did

        ppc64 sh
        ... configure and build within sub-shell ...

and got a working 64-bit executable without doing any special pushups.

                        regards, tom lane