On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:45 AM, vinita bansal wrote:

I have a 4 proc. AMD Opteron machine with 32 GB RAM and ~400GB HDD and a 40GB database. I need to take backup of this database and restore it some other location (say some test environment). I am currently using pg_dump and pg_restore utilities to get this done which takes 4-5 hrs for a dump and 8-9 hrs for restore respectively. I am using custom format for taking dumps.

i'll bet you've saturated your disk I/O bandwidth, since for me dumping a db a bit larger than that takes roughly 1 hour, and restore about 4.

you could also investigate making a copy using a replication system like slony (http://slony.info) then once the copy is made turning off the replication.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806