Nicolas Barbier wrote:
On 10/21/05, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:

jeff sacksteder wrote:

Are there known limits to how many rows can be inserted by one transaction,
or does that just reflect the already documented row, table and database
limits?

Well, the system will need to be able to roll back the transaction, so
at some point your system will grind to a halt. I shouldn't be surprised
if there was some counter that couldn't cope beyond 2^31 rows too but
no-one's found it yet.

Just by not indicating that a transaction did commit, others will keep
ignoring its rows. There is nothing to rollback here, thanks to MVCC.
Of course, those rows will still be physically present until the next
VACUUM.

D'oh - thanks Jeff. Due to brain malfunction I'd typed "roll back" instead of "commit". What I was trying to get at was that if you commit a zillion rows on your laptop you can sit there all day with your I/O saturated while the WAL writes it out.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd