Using custom output format instead of tar output (-Fc instead if -Ft) appears to work without error. My initial tests with the backup db seem to match the original db.

The compressed output files are also a lot smaller ;)

Note that the problematic tar files were never transfered between platforms. They are written to a local disk and are accessed directly from that location.

Thanks for the info!
Scott