jia ding wrote:
yes, of couse COPY

but,
=> copy test to 'test.txt';
ERROR:  must be superuser to COPY to or from a file
HINT: Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin. psql's \copy command also works for anyone.

Straight from the documentation:

Do not confuse COPY with the psql instruction \copy. \copy invokes COPY FROM STDIN or COPY TO STDOUT, and then fetches/stores the data in a file accessible to the psql client. Thus, file accessibility and access rights depend on the client rather than the server when \copy is used.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-copy.html

Doesn't look like \copy lets you specify which fields to include though.

alive=# \d a
       Table "public.a"
 Column |  Type   | Modifiers
--------+---------+-----------
 a      | integer |

db=# \copy a to ./blah.sql (works)

db=# \copy a a to ./blah.sql
\copy: parse error at "a"

On 3/16/06, *Chris* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    jia ding wrote:
     > Hi all,
     >
     > I tried:
     > select id, name  into table2   from table1;
     >  \copy table2 to filename.txt
     > in order to export 2 columns from table1 to a file.
     >
     > But, I am thinking, if there is a command can combine these two
    command
     > together?
     > Maybe, something like: \copy select id,name  from table  to
    filename.txt

    Close.

    copy tablename field1, field2 to 'filename';

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-copy.html

    --
    Postgresql & php tutorials
    http://www.designmagick.com/