I am having a problem with Sun Java Studio Creator because the latest version of the JDBC driver returns a field length of -1 for text fields.

My question: Is a text field just a varchar(Integer.MAX_VALUE)? If I want to use the data binding part of the SJSC tool I will need to convert my text fields to some standard SQL data type. I understand that varchar just stores the actual length of the field, and not the padded white space. Would anyone recommend for or against creating a field of varchar(Integer.MAX_VALUE)? Will PostgreSQL choke on that? If against, how is text implemented and how can I represent a variable-length String in a SQL standard format?

Thanks.

      match