I am having difficulty getting SSL-enabled Postgres client libs working on AIX with either vac or gcc using OpenSSL.  SSL from other UNIX flavors has not been a problem.

Versions in question:

 AIX 5.1 on power4

 OpenSSL 0.9.8

 Postgres 8.1.3

I am not that familiar (yet) with the configure and build part of Postgres, but I suspect this problem really comes down to how openssl gives up trying to build a shared lib version on AIX, and postgres must (?) dynamically link to openssl.   (Incidentally, mysql has the same problem on AIX it would seem, again said with a question mark.)

Any advice, guidance or links on how I might get SSL working from AIX clients would be greatly appreciated.  Googling around has not yielded anything that’s put me on the right track.

Thanks in advance,
Paul