Merlin Moncure writes:

there are reasons to go with raid 5 or other raids. where I work we
often do 14 drive raid 6 plus 1 hot swap on a 15 drive tray.

Raid 5 is different from raid 6.... To say that there are times it's ok to use RAID 5 and then say you use raid 6... well... doesn't really say anything about raid 5.

Also, what controller are you using?
From what I gather, raid 6 is less common and fewer cards support it (areca
is one of them I believe).

      match