I don't see any kind of PID in the logfiles at all, just lines and lines of:

2006-05-02 23:03:28 LOG: SSL SYSCALL error: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.

etc.

When this trouble happens, these logfiles are each 10-12 MB in size and there are ~10 produced every minute until the disk fills.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
hm. Ok. The log file contains a PID field, IIRC. Does that PID:
1) Stay the same, or change?
2) Match postmaster, or postgres.exe? If postgres.exe, is it just a
backend?
3) If it's just a backend, is it enough to kill off that backend?

//Magnus
-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Myllymaki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:49 PM
To: Magnus Hagander
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] logfiles filling up

yes I do.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
Do you actively use SSL on this server?

//Magnus

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Erik Myllymaki
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:36 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

I will add to my initial post:

This is a fresh install with a small database (30MB over
12 tables),
no other applications on this server and only one user - it's a development machine.

And when I say the logfiles "fill up" I mean the entire partition fills, rapidly, until there is "no room left on device".

The last time this happened it took less than 10 minutes
for 7GB to
fill.

Seems to happen every couple of days.

Shutting down Postgres and removing the logfiles, and then
restarting
Postgres fixes things temporarily.

Erik Myllymaki wrote:
I'm running Postgresql 8.1.3 on Windows 2003.

logfiles fill with the following line:

"SSL SYSCALL error: A blocking operation was interrupted by
a call to
WSACancelBlockingCall."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

---------------------------(end of
TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore
your desire to
choose an index scan if your joining column's
datatypes do not
      match

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster