Karen Hill wrote:

What is your favorite front end for end users to interact with your
postgresql db?  Is it java, .net, web apache + php, MS-Access, ruby on
rails?  Why is it your favorite?  Which would you recommend for end
users on multiple OSes?
I use PHP for the same reason I use Postgres, easy, powerful, and free.

Also, what do you think of having the database management system do all
work (business logic etc) with the front end as a user interface vs.
having N-tier with an application server handling business logic, and
the db just accepting data.  I currently have the opinion that N-tier
is not as good as having the db contain the business logic via stored
procedures.  This comes from having to re-invent the wheel every time a
new user app needs to  be created.
Agreed. I like to have the database do all of the work, and I like to use a dictionary-based generator to build the triggers for me.

Shameless plug: My own project, Andromeda, which does just this, is a GPL project using PHP and PostgreSQL which works as you describe. http://docs.secdat.com. I consider the project late-beta for my own projects, but probably early Alpha for others, since there are probably foibles that don't bother me because I wrote it and know where they are.
begin:vcard
fn:Kenneth  Downs
n:Downs;Kenneth
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]