Michael Ben-Nes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Im got the following error when the query string was one of the Hebrew
> chars:

> SELECT upper('ש');
> ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale
> HINT: The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
> database encoding.

Hmph.  I can't reproduce that here (using Fedora 4's version of he_IL.utf8
anyway).  I assume your client_encoding was also UTF8?  The troublesome
character came through in your email as \327\251 (D7 A9) ... is that
what you were actually entering?  The reference to F9 in the other error
message makes me think the character got munged somewhere in the email
chain ...

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend