If one decides to use a composite key, beyond how many attributes
should one seriously consider creating a surrogate key instead? 4? 5?
Less? I have seen a composite key composed of 5 attributes and thought
- why? What's the value over a surrogate key?

I guess choosing a candidate key (presuming the candidates are
legitimate candidates) is at least partially a matter of taste. What
taste would compel people to choose composite keys composed of more
than 2-3 attributes?