Alban Hertroys wrote:

We have a number of views that join tables, and we have queries that join those views. Some relatively large tables are involved. We added indexes that match our query constraints as much as possible, and that does work if we explicitly query the tables with all the involved joins, instead of the views. However, if we query the views, the planner starts using a filter instead of the desired index...

Anecdotally, I had a situation recently where I got different plans depending on whether I queried a join of a view against itself, or "macro expanded" the view by hand. I was =very= surprised at this.

- John D. Burger
  MITRE