To: "Bob Pawley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Michael Fuhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Postgresql" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Inserting Data

Bob Pawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
What I have is one table which stores device_id numbers that are referenced
on the second table "library.devices".
I need to insert device_ids from the first table that satisfy the conditions
of the argument found on the library table. Hence the 'where' clause.

This isn't real clear to me, but perhaps you are looking for something
like

IF EXISTS(select 1 from library.devices where ...) THEN
INSERT INTO ... values(new.device_id);
END IF;

regards, tom lane