Yeah, apparently it's OK when spewed out to the browser...Didn't think of that :P

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:56:09AM -0500, John McCawley wrote:
I've searched high and low, and all I've found is people being chided for trying to convert from Bytea to text :)

When I first designed my database, I simply didn't understand the purpose of bytea, I didn't actually realize that there *was* a text data type. (Actually, I was porting from a MS SQL database, and if I remember correctly, PgAdmin actually made the decision for me) I now need to convert my field from bytea to text, but there doesn't seem to be a clean way to do it. So far I have done the following:

Doesn't straight assignment do it?

Don't confuse the escaped output from bytea with the actual data.

Hope this helps,