Tom Lane wrote:
"J S B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
denied

Can you please tell me what is this all about?

It looks to me like you have, or had, another postmaster running under a
different userid.  Perhaps you should back up to the beginning and tell
us what you've been doing with this installation.

                        regards, tom lane

IIRC, I had that happen on a botched upgrade of postgres. Even if I did a reinstall it wasn't enough. Under Debian I had to try upgrading again, then do a "complete uninstall" (or something similar), then a fresh reinstall and it finally worked again. It happened a couple of times and I never figured out why. Hasn't happened lately though.

Madi