Rick Gigger wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 10/18/06 19:57, Rick Gigger wrote:
To make a long story short lets just say that I had a bit of a hardware
failure recently.

If I got an error like this when trying to dump a db from the mangled
data directory is it safe to say it's totally hosed or is there some
chance of recovery?

pg_dump: ERROR:  could not open relation 1663/18392/18400: No such file
or directory
pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "file" failed:
PQendcopy() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  could not open relation
1663/18392/18400: No such file or directory
pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.file (vfs_id, vfs_type, vfs_path,
vfs_name, vfs_modified, vfs_owner, vfs_data) TO stdout;

What happens when you fsck the relevant partitions?

Errors about a bunch of duplicate inodes, missing inodes, etc. Should I do it again and get some of the exact text for you?

Also this is an example of the type of errors that were being logged before it died:

LOG:  checkpoint record is at 26/41570488
LOG:  redo record is at 26/41570488; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE

              http://archives.postgresql.org/