Hi everyone,

I recently installed PostgreSQL (Version 8.1.5.1) using the MSI installer on a
Windows Server 2000 system.

I ran the installer logged in under an Administrator account, and set the
service account to postgres.

During the installation process, when it came time to run initdb, the installer
would stop with the error message:

     "Failed to run initdb: 128.  Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\tmp\initdb.log.
      Note!  You must read/copy this logfile before you click OK, or it will be
automatically removed."

I surmized that the problem was that I was attempting to run the install as an
Administrator, so I addressed the problem by running the install, but not
having the installer run initdb step to intialize the database cluster.  When
the install finished without error, I then logged onto the server under the
postgres account and manually ran initdb.  I was able to initialize the cluster.

I then updated the postgresql.conf file with "listen_addresses = '*' and
changed the port from 5432 (currently being used for a 7.3 server) to 5435.

Everything runs as expected.

Until the Windows Server is rebooted.  When this occurs, the PostgreSQL service
starts as expected, but won't accept connections.

If the PostgreSQL service is then restarted manually (via Administrative Tools
> Component Services > Restart), the service runs as expected and everything is
normal.

How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance,
George