Keary Suska wrote:
Thanks to Erik, Jeff, & Richard for their help.

I have a further inheritance question: do child tables inherit the indexes
created on parent columns, or do they need to be specified separately for
each child table? I.e., created via CREATE INDEX.

I assume at least that the implicit index created by a primary key would
inherit, but I don't know if that assumption is safe.

Thanks,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
No. In addition, child tables do not inherit primary keys. Think of it like this: if you did a \d to describe a table that you were going to use as a parent table in an inheritance chain, the child table would get everything in the table listing the columns but nothing beneath the table.

--
erik jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
software development