Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:49:30PM -0800, Glen Parker wrote:
I'd like to see a general way to take indexes off line without actually losing their definitions. For example, something like "ALTER TABLE [EN | DIS] ABLE INDEXES", "ALTER INDEX [EN | DIS] ABLE", etc. This could also be used internally when a backend encounters an error reading/writing an index. Rather than refusing to execute queries, it could just ignore indexes it knows are disabled or bad in some way and re-plan as needed.

One issue would be that even disabled indexes would need to be updated
when there are new rows. If you don't update the index when it's
disabled, then re-enabling will essentially need to rebuild the index.

That's what I had in mind. You could just as easily blow away the index file(s). It's just that I don't want it to toss the index *definition*.

To continued to update such an index would be to completely negate the benefit of disabling it!

-Glen