On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Ben wrote:

On Dec 26, 2006, at 7:30 AM, Marc Evans wrote:

What I have not been able to come up with a good semi-general purpose solution to is cross-data-center HA.

Why does log shipping not work for you?

Well, it may, but is short, I believe that this comes down to how to deal with various failure scenarios. For example, consider a situation where a data center is cut off from communications with other data centers. Do all data centers need to switch to a read-only operational mode, or is one of the centers elected the master? What about a pair of islands, wherein 2 seperate sets of data centers are cut off from each other, but see some subset of other data centers? For a general purpose solution, some form of multi-master seems logical, but of course, doesn't yet exist.

- Marc

      match