Tom Lane wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Well, it can be an expression _if_ the expression _matches_ an existing
> > UNION column.
>
> You're mistaken.  It has to be *an output column name*.  Not anything else.

Yea, I was thinking of this:

        SELECT *, state IS NULL AS state_is_null
        FROM income_tax_rate_us
        UNION
        SELECT *, state IS NULL AS state_is_null
        FROM income_tax_rate_us
        ORDER BY state_is_null

Here the column result is an expression, and you reference that.
Updated wording:

 test=> select * from test union select * from test order by x is null;
 ERROR:  A UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT ORDER BY cannot use expressions or functions,
only result column names

--
  Bruce Momjian   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq